Your child’s safety as a parent is non-negotiable. We live in a world, where so many mishaps happen under our very noses (child’s protection against sexual abuse). There are increasingly frequent cases of child abduction, violation, exposure to harmful substances, domestic injuries, the list is endless. Most of these events happen in their very homes. We would therefore look critically at 21 HOME SAFETY RULES FOR CHILDREN as parents.
Most parents go to work daily, and return in the evenings or at night.(with the exception to some that work from home). More often than not, children return home from school to the company or supervision of house helps(for those that can afford them),neighbors or at times, they are left at home all by themselves.
WHAT IS HOME SAFETY FOR CHILDREN?
Home safety for children, simply means taking out time to inspect the home surroundings (in and out) to discover hidden dangers ,that may increase the risk of bodily harm, injury or death to children residing in and around the physical structure of a home.
DO YOU THINK A HOME SAFE FOR ADULTS, COULD ALSO BE SAFE FOR CHILDREN?
The answer is No! A home environment that is safe for adults, might not be safe for children. For instance, a toddler can see a bottle of bleach in a fancy container, and assume it’s a bottle of soda, and decide to have a sip. There was an incidence that occurred, where a toddler took a large gulp of Kerosene that was put in a transparent bottle and almost died. Fortunately the mother was around the house who quickly took the child to the hospital. A typical adult, will read the inscription on the container, or even perceive it, before drinking.
21 HOME SAFETY RULES FOR CHILDREN:
1. PUT AWAY DRUGS SAFELY: Drugs of all sorts, should be kept away safely from children.
2. KEEP CHEMICALS AND DETERGENT SAFELY AROUND THE HOME: Make sure chemical substances are not left lying around the home, eg antiseptic like dettol,bleach, kerosene, liquid detergent, fancy looking bar soaps etc.These substances should be properly kept away from the prying eyes of children, especially toddlers except when they are needed.
3. MOUNT YOUR ELECTRONICS IN A WAY THAT WILL NOT BE REACHABLE TO TODDLERS OR OTHER SMALLER CHILDREN: It is better you place your electronics like Television, Home theatres, DVDs, Speakers etc in a position where little children cannot get easy access to them ,except the older children. You can mount appliances like television on the wall or get a high platform to place the others, they should not be laid on the floor.
4. INSTALL A FIRE ALARM IN THE HOUSE: This is an equipment that detects smoke/fire in the house. Make sure you teach your children how to recognize and differentiate the sound of this equipment from other sounds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_alarm_system
A FIRE ALARM
5. INSTALL A SMOKE DETECTOR IN THE HOUSE: This is also an equipment that can easily detect smoke or gas leakage in the house especially homes that make use of gas appliances.
A SMOKE DETECTOR
6. MAKE SURE YOU CREATE ESCAPE DOORS OR ROUTES INCASE OF A FIRE INCIDENCE : Your children should be aware of escape routes around the house ,aside from the main entrance ,in case of an emergency.
7. DO NOT ALLOW THEM USE THE SWIMMING POOL ,IF YOU ARE NOT AT HOME: make sure there is a standing directive, that no one should go in the swimming pool if you are not around or if there is no adult supervision.
8. IF YOU HAVE HOUSE HELPS, MAKE SURE YOU DO A THOROUGH BACKGROUND CHECK ON THEM: These days, people are not always what they seem . There have been cases of children abduction, molestation, torture……the list endless by House helps .Like the adage that says “To before warned, is to be before harmed”. Make sure you know them to their homes and family members.https://www.bellanaija.com/2014/11/shocking-video-shows-nanny-flinging-beating-toddler/
9. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO BE WEARY OF STRANGERS: They should not talk to them,or take food items and money from strangers.Child’s protection against sexual abuse
10. MAKE SURE THE FLOOR/TILES ARE CLEAN AND KEPT DRY: to avoid slipping and falling in the house ,the floor/tiles should be scrubbed clean and dry at all times.Teach the older children to always mop the floor when water pours on the ground or any other liquid.
11. MAKE SURE ELECTRICAL OUTLETS ARE INSTALLED HIGH FROM THE GROUND: electrical outlets or ports should be installed a bit high from the ground ,where little children can not reach easily and if they have already be installed low, should be covered when going out and switched off from the main ports. Most importantly, naked wires should be covered with cellotapes or fixed immediately.
12. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO TREAT THEIR PETS NICELY: Some children are very rough with pets like dogs and cats. Some kids will pull their tails violently, smack them on the face etc..Unfortunately, if that pet is not in a good mood could react and bite. Teach them to treat these animals gently or nicely
13. CENSOR THE TELEVISION CHANNELS THEY WATCH WHEN YOUR NOT AT HOME: These days decoders have been built for parents to have a section, where they can censor channels for children viewing. Make sure you censor the channels they watch, example they shouldn’t watch violent movies, and pornographic or obscene films on television.
14. MAKE SURE DANGEROUS KITCHEN UTENSILS AND CUTLERIES ARE PROPERLY KEPT: You should not allow knives, forks, tin cutters, and some dangerous kitchen utensils to lie around in the kitchen.They should be kept away nicely.
15. MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR LITTLE CHILDREN TOYS THAT DON’T HAVE SHARP EDGES: Get toddlers and smaller children toys that are without sharp edges. Fluffy, or all rounded edges toys will be suitable for little children and toddlers.
16. GET A PHONE FOR YOUR GROWN UP CHILD : if you have a grown up child, you can get him/her a phone, and always put a call across to them at certain times of the day, to know how they are faring.And also have the numbers of close relatives and neighbors on the phone ,in a situation where your phone is not reachable to children during an emergency.
17. WRITE OUT THE PHONE NUMBERS OF FIRE,POLICE DEPARTMENT AND CLOSE RELATIVES AT SOME STRATEGIC PLACES IN THE HOUSE: This is applicable if you have a bit grown up children at home. Show them these numbers boldly written out and pasted at some strategic corners of the house.
18.TEACH OLDER CHILDREN HOW TO CARRY OUT SIMPLE FIRST AID TREATMENT : there should be a simple first aid kit at home. The grown up children should be thought how to carry out simple first aid treatment. Example like cleaning a simple cut, applying ointment or liniment on a swelling etc.
19. INSTALL PEEPHOLE AT THE MAIN DOOR: it is a small glass like object that can be installed on doors, or at times it comes with security doors. It helps one view an individual at the door, without opening the door.